|Brief task description
|The presentation will be completed in Cadmus and requires students to produce a CANVA poster based on two ethical principles arising from the provided case study. The poster presentation requires students to identify two relevant ethical principles relating to the case study and NUR3020 course content.Students are to present a CANVA poster through a Voiceover presentation of the poster content that responds to the questions posed about the case study. A script that includes the discussion and coreassignment requirements must also be provided.
|Rationale for assessment task
|As the complexities of caring for a patient in the Australian Healthcare system increases there is a need to improve our critical thinking processes within the complexity of organisations, peers, and patients. The registered nurse is affected by the awareness and importance of our professional responsibility when ethical issues arise in practice. Sharing ethical principles and practice issues form part of the role of a registered nurse as case studies in practice occur every day. Ultimately the decisions of a registerednurse can improve, change, or benefit patients, families and colleagues and peers.
|3rd April 2023 at 2359 AEST
|The assignment requires the student to provide the following:· A CANVA poster with a voiceover presentation submitted in Cadmus addressing the questions raised· The voice over poster presentation should not exceed 100MB
· The voice over poster presentation is a maximum of 5 minutes duration and is to be recorded by you, with your face visible in one corner of the screen
· Presenter notes as a presentation script that includes the discussion and core assignment content must be provided.
|Marks out of: Weighting:
|30% of final grade (marks out of 60)
|Course Objectives measured
|Course Objectives assessed: 1. Critically apply advanced communication and skills of professionalism and clinical leadership to examine nursing practice situations at the level of a beginning Registered Nurse.
2. Interpret, analyse and apply the nursing scope of practice domains in ethico-legal decision making in the provision of safe, effective and holistic person-centred care.
3. Engage in critical discussion and reflective practice which explores the relationship between professional identity, role formation, and compassionate care in role transition and care provision.
4. Examine the professional role of the beginning registered nurse in decision making, and personal and professional formation in digital health systems and organisational structures.
|Support for the assignment
|Information relating to the assessment task are provided in the Assessment tab on Study Desk. A frequently asked questions forum is available to ask relevant questionsConsultation times can be accessed throughout the week at the times advertised on Study Desk
|Please read the case study below and respond to the questions provided through your poster presentation. The case study highlights key areas where breaches in ethical principles occur.Case StudyMolly is a 29-year-old with advanced cancer. She has decided, in consultation with close family members and friends that despite the severity of her illness and its symptoms, she does not want any treatment. To ensure that her wishes are respected if she loses the capacity to make choices and consent to recommended treatments and care, Molly has prepared an advanced health directive. In her advanced directive, she has outlined a comprehensive list of medical treatments and nursing care that she does not want and, if she were competent to decide, would refuse. The healthcare team involved in her care is unanimous that, at the time of preparing her advanced health directive, Molly was competent to make decisions and ‘knew what she was doing’.
You are a community nurse visiting Molly at home and notice, with concern, progressive deterioration of her condition. She has noticeable difficulty walking and is at risk of falls. You arrange for her to have a personal alarm system in place, but she refuses any additional support services. She also refuses a range of essential nursing interventions that would help to make her more comfortable, including mouth care for a mouth infection, bowel care for constipation and wound care for various superficial cuts and abrasions that she sustained following a recent fall, which have become infected. Workers from other services who come in to assist Molly are also becoming increasingly concerned about her condition, and report this to your team.
1. Outline two key ethical principles raised by this case study?
2. Considering the duty of care of the registered nurse in this situation and justify your reasons, should you and the team override or respect Molly’s wishes? This section must be supported by the literature.
3. In either case, discuss the reasons you would use to justify your critical thinking and decisions. This section must be supported by the literature
4. Discuss strategies to address the ethical issues raised in the case study in order to work through the situation. This section must be supported by the literature.
Guidelines / structure
Your assessment is required to be developed in the style of a visual CANVA poster with included audio presentation and script.
The presentation is to contain the following sections:
• Introduction –The introduction should provide an outline of your intended poster discussion based on the case study and the two chosen ethical principles for investigation. The presenter notes provide the synopsis of your discussion in a script of your voiceover.
• Synopsis of Ethical Principles arising - This section requires a synopsis of the two (2) ethical principles of concern arising from the case study, your decisions considering Molly’s wishes. This section must be linked to the literature.
• Justification of ethical principles and RN decision making practice – This section requires a summary that specifically shares the decision making and critical thought in upholding the ethical principles as the registered nurse and in alignment with the situation identified in the case study. The section must be supported by the literature.
• Strategies– This section requires you to consider a minimum of 3 strategies that relate to the case study and the registered nurse’s ethical responsibility with respect to the ethical principles arising. A rationale for each strategy, referenced to credible, contemporary literature is required.
|· One CANVA poster is required to be submitted with a Voice Over of the poster completed.• The presenter notes relating to the voiceover must be included. The presenter notes provide your script of the poster’s discussion that is being presented.• CANVA conventions are available through a link in Cadmus on Study Desk
|• For this assessment you will use APA 7th referencing style.• In text citations: In-text citations must be included in the body of work. Each new point or piece of evidence must be attributed (via in-text citation) to the source.• A minimum of 8 credible, peer reviewed articles are needed to support the ethical decision making and strategies identified in the case study presentation. The majority no older than 6 years old.
• The CANVA poster must have a voice over provided by you.
• The CANVA poster presentation must contain a presenter script.
• The presentation must contain the following items: a poster presented and recorded in your own voice with your face visible in one corner of the screen..
• Listen to / watch the recording before you submit it to check for sound and video quality
• Keep a copy of the recording prior to submission
• Follow the instructions for creating a voiceover recording in Cadmus this is located on study desk, assessment tab, Presentation.
|Resources available to complete task
|The NUR3020 StudyDesk Assessment Tab contains the following resources to help you with this assessment:
• Student Tool Kit – Assessment & Study Skills: Academic Writing.
• The link and guide to CANVA posters in Cadmus on study desk
• Unpacking the assessment recording under the Assessment - Presentation area.
• Student consultation times are available each week as advertised on the NUR3020 Study desk Study Schedule.
• Support for academic writing (and referencing) is available from the Learning Advisor and Liaison Librarian, you can find information and contact them via their site: Study and Research Support for Health & Community students
|What you need to submit
|One voice over CANVA poster recording presentation and one discussion script through the Study Desk submission portal.:
• Coversheet is not required as the submission is electronic
• Do not include the marking criteria sheet in your submission
|This assessment task must be submitted in electronic format as a CANVA poster with voiceover and included presenter notes submitted via the link provided in the Assessment Tab, Presentation on Study Desk and uploaded if desired into your student professional portfolio
|File Name Conventions
|Save your document with the following naming conventions:surname_initialORstudentnumber_coursecode_A2.doc/docx/pdf
|All staff who are assessing your work meet to discuss and compare grading decisions before marks or grades are finalised.
|Academic Integrity Statement
|Students should be familiar with USQ’s policy on Academic Integrity:https://policy.usq.edu.au/documents/13752PLTurnitin has been enabled so that students can check for similarity matching within their assessment and make amendments prior to the due date to demonstrate academic integrity.