Assignment 2 Instructions
Question 1 Identifying competencies and gaps
This assignment concerns identifying the competencies and behaviours that support ongoing relationships with people in an identified group during emotional periods of anxiety and anger.
You should write your assignment in the context of a critical reflection of your competencies (e.g. strengths) and competency gaps (e.g. further learning) as indicated by your results when completing the Global Leadership Emotional Intelligence Test and Personal SWOT Analysis in ‘Topic 4: Emotional intelligence’;
the communication styles survey in ‘Topic 6: Communication styles’; and your observations of consumer behaviour in ‘Topic 7: Consumer decisions to seek financial advice’ and ‘Topic 8: Consumer behaviour and marketing decisions’.
- Reflecting on your understanding of the concepts of Daniel Goleman’s emotional competence framework presented in Topic 4, undertake the following analysis:
- Identify a group of colleagues you can observe, ideally within a financial planning setting (or another workplace setting if you do not work in financial planning). You should include
yourself as a member of this group for the purposes of this analysis. You need to identify at least three (3) individuals to make up this group. If you work on your own, you could consider
your interactions with peers and strategic partners (i.e. members of a licensee who supports you)
- Based on the above context, analyse, discuss and assign levels of high, medium or low rankings of emotional intelligence to your group members, considering each element
of Goleman’s Emotional Intelligence framework.
- Provide brief examples associated with each of the discussed competencies that demonstrate/explain
the ranking level you have assigned to emotional intelligence, as demonstrated by your observation group.
- Conclude by identifying areas requiring further development for your group members. The objective of this exercise is to observe emotional intelligence behaviours in practice.
- Utilising one (1) of the strengths and one (1) of the weaknesses you have outlined above, briefly discuss how these could impact the success of a client interaction. (4 marks)
- This question requires you to complete the Global Leadership Foundation Emotional Intelligence Test
and undertake a critical analysis of your results relative to your group as identified in question 1 (a) above. Key points to consider are as follows:
- From your survey results, identify your own Global Leadership Foundation Emotional Intelligence Test EI strengths and
- From your observations, identify your groups Global Leadership Foundation Emotional Intelligence Test EI strengths and
- Identify threats and weaknesses in your external environment that may impact your collective strengths and
- You can utilise the Personal SWOT analysis table in Topic 4 to complete the above three (3) points (SWOT: strengths/weaknesses/opportunities and threats).
Your analysis of the SWOT needs to then consider the following:
- Discuss how your identified Global Leadership Foundation Emotional Intelligence Test EI strengths could support your observed groups EI weaknesses, providing examples to support your
- Discuss how your groups identified EI strengths could support your identified EI weaknesses, providing examples to support your discussion.
- Provide a discussion on how your collective strengths could take advantage of opportunities and overcome threats that present in your external
- Conclude by identifying specific EI areas that require further improvement for yourself and your
- This question relates to yourself only and requires you to undertake the Communication Style Inventory found in Topic 6, providing a detailed discussion and analysis of your results.
- You are required to evaluate your Communication Style strengths and weaknesses and provide
an analysis of the implications of your style when dealing with clients in a financial planning context.
- When considering your results, discuss how clients might perceive your authenticity taking into consideration each of the five (5) elements of the
- Support your discussion analysis with specific relevant
- Ensure you conclude by identifying your specific CSI areas that require further
- Based on your self-assessment and conclusions from your analysis of your group derived
from Goleman, Global Leadership Foundation Emotional Intelligence Test, Personal SWOT analysis
and CSI assignment sections above, you are required to prepare a Professional Development Plan (PDP) for yourself, your group and your firm.
In doing so:
- Reflect on specific areas identified that require further development from your analysis of your Goleman, Global Leadership Foundation Emotional Intelligence and CSI results. You should have already identified these within your responses for each section.
- Map out detailed and well researched steps that consider specific, measurable, accountable, realistic and timely actions (SMART goals) that can help you improve on those identified
- Reflect on specific areas identified that require further development from your analysis
of Goleman and Global Leadership Foundation Emotional Intelligence for your group. You should have already identified these within your responses for each section.
- Map out detailed and well researched steps that consider specific, measurable, accountable,
realistic and timely actions (SMART goals) that can help your group improve on those identified areas.
- At a more strategic level, provide a conclusion on how your firm might benefit from your overall analysis of Goleman, Global Leadership Foundation Emotional Intelligence Test and
Your conclusion might consider the client value proposition, financial outcomes, client outcomes, process outcomes or HR outcomes in developing your strategy. Ensure you link your analysis back to Goleman, Global Leadership Foundation Emotional Intelligence Test and CSI.