The purpose of the assignment is to provide you with the opportunity to apply the knowledge and skills acquired in FIN600 Financial Management, to a practical task, involving the use of ‘real‐world’ accounting information. This is intended to consolidate your accounting knowledge and skills.
The basic requirement is to undertake a general financial analysis, comparing financial position and performance over the two most recent financial years, of an ASX listed company. Your Learning Facilitator will provide the details of the ASX listed company.
The annual report for the chosen company should be available on the company website and/or will be provided by your Learning Facilitator.
Note: Assessment 2 submissions based on the incorrect company or a company not chosen by the Facilitator will be regarded as a Non-Submission and no grade will be allocated.
Non-Submissions of Assessment 2 will prohibit a Supplementary assessment for the student.
The analysis should consider each of the following financial ratios:
- profitability and market performance
- capital structure
Note: Please use the ‘consolidated’ data in conducting your analysis.
You are only required to look at the most recent financial report. For those ratios which involve averages, you will calculate an average for the most recent year only, the prior year ratio calculation will NOT consider average calculations.
This assignment will contain two elements:
1. Schedule(s) of relevant ratios and other useful calculations
- The detailed calculation of relevant ratios and other useful calculations should be included, as one appendix, prepared using Excel. An example template is provided under the assessment 2 information, FIN600 Assessment 2 Appendix xls.
- You will be advised by your facilitator as to which ratios to
- You are advised to show the formulae used in determining particular ratios and other figures.
2. A written report
The written report is the main element of this assessment. A sample template is provided under the assessment 2 information, FIN600 Assessment 2 report template.doc.
The written report should:
- Explain what is revealed by the ratios and other calculations, in the context of the company’s profitability, asset efficiency, liquidity, capital structure, and market
- In particular, any important changes over the two financial years should be identified, discussed and, where possible, explained.
- Provide an overall assessment of whether the company, over the recent financial year, has been better than the previous financial year, in the perspective of existing equity investors (shareholders).
In preparing this report, students should:
- analyse the financial statements of the business;
- identify key ratios and apply ratio analysis;
- argue the case of why the organisation may or may not succeed in the future and what the business should be doing to help it succeed;
- consider the impact of the political and competitive environment on the business;
- include external factors that need to be taken into consideration and the likelihood of a merger or acquisition;
- provide a recommendation, that is, would you invest in this company after your own analysis or under what circumstances would you buy/save the business?
The assignment is to comply with the University’s General Guide for the Presentation of Academic Work. Please see more information here: https://laureate- au.blackboard.com/webapps/blackboard/content/listContent.jsp?course_id=_20163_1&co ntent_id=_2498849_1
Points to consider
- You are encouraged to seek and use additional public information about the company from sources, other than the annual report (for example, the internet, journal articles, newspapers, and business magazines).
- However, it is NOT envisaged that you will be engaged in extensive research of this nature and it is expected that the annual report will be the primary resource relied upon, in completing the
- You are asked NOT to try and make direct personal contact with the company or its officers (for example by telephone, fax, letter or email), in an attempt to gather further
- It is important to note that you must NOT reproduce company promotional material from the annual report or company website and represent it as critical
- You will be provided relevant share price data for the company by your facilitator so that investment ratios (such as a price earnings ratio) can be
- You may find it useful to consult accounting references, in addition to the prescribed text, which deals with the analysis and interpretation of company financial reports.
- As this is a Masters-level subject, students are expected to engage with high quality credible resources (eg. academic journal articles) to support and develop arguments and position statements, using the Torrens University Library: http://library.laureate.net.au. References to ‘Wikipedia’ or similar unsubstantiated sources will not be
- It is essential that you use the appropriate APA 6th referencing style, for citing and referencing The assignment is to include in-text citations and a reference list following the appropriate APA 6th referencing style. Please see more information on referencing here: https://library.torrens.edu.au/academicskills/apa/tool
Submit the assessment via the submission link of “Assessment 2 – Report” on the student portal in the main navigation menu in FIN600 Financial Management by the due dates:
12 Week Delivery: Due by 11:55 pm Sydney time Sunday of Week 11 (End of Module 6.1)