For this assessment task you will need to use the Early Years Learning Framework Planning Cycle (AGDE, 2022, pp.25-28) to create pedagogical documentation that makes engineering and science learning and teaching visible.
Pedagogical documentation requires you to use vocabulary that describes children's and educators' thinking and finds ways to make that thinking visible. It is a means of critically reflecting and analysing what lies beneath the play experiences to find the teaching strategies, pedagogical approaches and learning that occurs. It is a tool for teachers to gather information to create meaning.
- Evaluate the engineering and science learning and teaching in the following videos. Ensure your documentation demonstrates your assessment of, as and for children's learning as well as the role and teaching strategies of the (AGDE, 2022).
- Pedagogically document the videos provided in Ensure to acknowledge, document, and describe children's dispositions, curiosity, discoveries, theories, perspectives, knowledge skills in relation to science and engineering discourses (AGDE, 2022). Ensure to also document the role and teaching strategies of the educators to enhance children's science and engineering learning in the videos.
- Analyse and interpret the engineering and science learning and engagement that has occurred for the children. Ensure to acknowledge early childhood theories to clearly identify children's strengths and capacities and consider these in relation to the Learning Outcomes of the Early Years Learning Framework (AGDE, 2022, pp.31-63).
- Assess and interpret the engineering and science pedagogical knowledge and teaching strategies the educators have demonstrated and engage in. Ensure to acknowledge curriculum approaches, continuums of teaching (ECUR207) and theories to identify the strengths and capacities and consider these in relation to the educators promote this learning examples in the Learning Outcomes of the Early Years Learning Framework (AGDE, 2022, 31-63)
- Use your thoughtful analysis of the information collected and your documentation as inspiration to plan and document a series of three (3) inquiry-play-based curriculum provisions one (1) with a science focus, one (1) with an engineering focus, and one (1) with a STEM focus). Ensure these inquiry-play-based curriculum provisions consolidate, enrich, and extend children's learning and thinking, and articulate multiple lines of inquiry for each learning focus (ADGE, 2022).
- Ensure your three (3) inquiry-play-based curriculum provisions demonstrates your intentionality in their choice of appropriate learning and teaching strategies, content, resources, design of the use of time and indoor and outdoor learning environments (ADGE, 2022).
- Ensure your three (3) inquiry-play-based curriculum provisions demonstrates relational and place-based pedagogies are at the core of your planning and provide experiences for groups of children (ADGE, 2022).
- You are to set up and enact each of your three (3) inquiry-play-based curriculum provisions. Take photos and/or videos of learning environments/spaces/resources and record yourself delivering your three (3) inquiry-playbased curriculum provisions (you are not required to implement these to a group of children, rather simulate/imagine you are delivering to children).
- Create documentation of this implementation using a digital presentation format. (An example of this is Play School's Science Time 'Painting with 'Magical Milk')