Assessed Activity 1 (Lesson 5): Putting Theory into Practice
Design one (1) A2 poster that showcases one (1) product designed by the Bauhaus School, for example, (but not limited to): furniture, lamps, glassware, textiles, teapots and tea sets. The Bauhaus-Archiv's online collection is an excellent source to look at if you are having difficulty deciding what product to choose. The poster must follow the Bauhaus style, distinctive aesthetic and visual language. Supply a copy (text) and vector image (or equivalent) for the poster.
Please note: No photographs can be used in the final design. The final design should be created digitally and include multiple incremental stages of the design journey and development leading toward the final design. A final design displayed alone in your PDF sketchbook portfolio of visual work is not sufficient.
Carefully consider the design of the image (abstract shapes / lines) and the choice of typography and layout. In the design of the poster (and your PDF sketchbook portfolio of visual work), you must demonstrate your understanding of the following:
- Bauhaus visual aesthetics
- Gestalt laws (apply at least one (1) Gestalt law)
- Colour theory (implement at least one (1) colour contrast)
- The Golden ratio.
- Research the Bauhaus visual aesthetics, Gestalt laws, Colour theory, Golden ratio and functional products - Find images and text related to the Bauhaus visual aesthetic for inspiration - annotate, reflect and document this in your coursework PDF sketchbook.
- Research your chosen product and the background of the designer who created it - annotate, reflect and document this in your coursework PDF sketchbook.
- Create mood-boards to capture the visual aesthetic of the Bauhaus poster.
- As part of the creative process, design three (3) different variations of the poster. Write a critical evaluation explaining which of the designs you think are the most effective and why.
- Decide on your final designs and produce them at the correct scale of A2. Show the final poster by presenting a mock-up in situ in your coursework PDF sketchbook.
- Write a critical reflection and evaluation on how the poster meets the following criteria: Bauhaus visual aesthetics, Gestalt laws, Colour theory and The Golden ratio.
Summary of requirements:
- The poster should be A2 in size.
- The poster must be created in the Bauhaus aesthetic style.
- Consider and demonstrate your understanding of the following requirements in your designed poster and coursework PDF sketchbook: Bauhaus visual aesthetics, Gestalt laws, Colour theory and the Golden ratio.
- Show three (3) different variations of your poster that you have explored as part of the design journey and experimental creative process.
- Present the final poster as a mock-up in-situ (avoid showing a full-size A2 poster in your coursework PDF sketchbook, scale down as required).